This blog is gone but not forgotten. Please visit my "regular" blog, Textile Traveler.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Virtual Stroll through Salado

Salado is a lovely little town about 30 minutes north of us (so about half-way, give or take, between Austin and Temple, Tx). We like to make little day trips to Salado occasionally to pick up the little essentials of life: handmade glycerin and goat’s milk soaps from All Lathered Up, fabric from A Sewing Basket, and, on our latest trip, two hand-thrown pottery salsa bowls from Mud Pies Pottery (plus a piece of Sir Wiggleworth’s homemade fudge, which just happens to be in the same shop and is therefore impossible to avoid):
salsa_bowl1
salsa_bowl2
I love these little bowls, and I can’t wait to use them for some fabulous salsa at our next party.
It makes me sad to see that the economy has affected Salado so negatively; there are way too many “For Sale” and “For Lease” signs in this artsy little town, but one of my greatest pleasures is to stroll through and past the shops when the weather is fine. And there are great opportunities for capturing photos in Salado:
store_stilllife
salado4
salado
salado2
And what did you find pleasurable today?
signature

6 comments:

Diana said...

your blog 8-)

Norma Schlager said...

Aw, shucks! Diana stole my answer. But I went into NYC yesterday to see Read My Pins and the Slash paper exhibit at the Museum of Arts and Design. It was fabulous and I'm still getting pleasure from it today. I love the blue bowls you bought and I can just picture them with orange and red salsa in them. Great color combo!

Mandi said...

I haven't been to Salado in ages. It's a little longer from Lakeway!

There is a furniture store, Accents of Salado, that is Tuscan/ Texas Tuscan inspired. Have you been? It's on my list for this spring (along with my car that has fold down seats!)

pcoxdesign said...

I love your new blog and the header rocks! I took pleasure in seeing the sun for the first time in forever!

Unknown said...

Love your new blog....I can see how it will inspire us all!
www.lmpoole.blogspot.com

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Thank you all, you're so kind, and I enjoy reading about your pleasure-filled moments as well.